Disclosure: The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a small percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DEWALT miter saws are construction-grade tools that are absolute workhorses. I’ve owned a DEWALT miter saw for nearly two decades and am pleased to say that they’ve been reliable since day one.
Because I purchased my miter saw at The Home Depot, I received an email notification from them that my saw, along with two other DEWALT models are involved in a recall. The reason? The miter saw’s rear safety guard can break or detach, posing an injury hazard due to projectiles that can strike the user and bystanders and a laceration hazard to the user who could come into direct contact with the saw blade.
Read on to learn more about this DEWALT miter saw recall.
- DEWALT DWS780 12″ Miter Saw Review
- DEWALT Atomic DCF809C2 Impact Driver Kit Review
- 10 Essential Woodworking Tools For Your Shop
DEWALT Miter Saw Recall Details
- Recall date: August 04, 2022
- Recall #22-196
- This recall involves DEWALT Models DWS779, DWS780 and DHS790 Miter Saws. The saws have a yellow body with black accents and the DEWALT logo. The model number is printed on the saw’s nameplate. Only saws with date codes 2019 04 through 2022 04 are affected. For the DWS779 and DWS780 models the date codes are marked on the black plastic motor end cap adjacent to the name plate. For the DHS790 model, the date code is marked on the outside of the plastic yellow housing adjacent to the batteries. Only saws without a green dot on the name plate or a black dot on the arm of the saw are included in this recall.
- Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled miter saws and contact DEWALT for details on how to receive a free repair kit or to take their saw to a DEWALT service center for a free repair. DEWALT is directly contacting all known purchasers.
- DEWALT has received 571 reports of the rear safety guard assembly or components breaking or detaching, including nine reports of laceration injuries.
- Sold at Lowe’s stores, The Home Depot and hardware stores nationwide, and online at Amazon.com, Lowes.com and other websites from April 2019 through May 2022 for between $600 and $820.
- See more at the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website.
Ordering Your Repair Kit
See full details about how to repair your DEWALT miter saw over at the official DEWALT website. There, you’ll find model number and date code details, additional photos, a repair kit request form, and a repair kit installation video.
You’ll need to remove the saw blade before you can change out the rear safety guard. Overall, it’s a simple procedure. I did find, though, that one of the new rear guard mounting screws was a bit difficult to install because the rear guard is in the way. Tighten that screw first before tightening the one on the side of the rear guard. You might need to use a screwdriver for better leverage as well. Be careful not to strip the screw.
Just be sure to follow the instructions that’s included with the repair kit and watch the installation video and you should be good to go. Of course, when reinstalling the blade, make sure it’s seated and tightened properly before using the saw.