Disclosure: The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a small percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you.
We’ve always had an interest in gardening and growing our own vegetables. However, for the past several years, with my wife and I working full-time jobs and caring for four kids, there never seemed to be time to care for a garden.
My how times have changed! We’re still very busy as usual, but the current world situation has motivated us to become more self-sufficient, especially regarding food. We don’t have a large yard but it’s big enough for a few garden plots, and over the past several weeks, that’s exactly what we created.
For now, we built our garden plots directly in the ground. In the future, I plan wrap the plots with wood for a more finished look.
Most people know this, but before you go and plant, it’s important to cultivate the soil. There’s never been a need for us to own a tiller, so I was a bit overwhelmed at just how many options there are out there. Here’s how we narrowed down our selection:
- Because our garden plots are small, we didn’t need to purchase a large machine.
- There’s pros and cons to owning corded equipment, but in this case, corded was the option for us.
- This had to be a machine that we could order online.
After a few hours of researching tillers online, we chose to purchase the Earthwise 16-Inch 13.5 Amp Corded Electric Tiller/Cultivator from The Home Depot.
- Earthwise Leaf Mulcher: A Gardener’s Dream
- DIY Mobile Elevated Planter
- Spring Has Arrived: Time To Bring Out My RYOBI Outdoors Tools!
Earthwise 16-Inch Electric Tiller, Cultivator
After using this tiller, I can pleasantly tell you – from my actual experience – that I love it. Yes, dealing with a cord can be a hassle, but having someone walk along with you to help with the cord makes it much easier to deal with.
In my opinion, the pluses far outweigh that minor inconvenience.
- At around $135, you’re buying a lot of tiller for a great price.
- This tiller easily ripped up the well-established grass roots in our yard.
- Compared to large walk-behind tillers, this one is lightweight (approximately 30 lbs) and easy to move.
- The wheels can flip up for tilling and flip back down for easy transport.
- No gas means no fumes and no worrying about keeping gasoline around.
This Earthwise tiller also pulled up most rocks and stones. There were a few times when the tines got snagged on larger stones, but after shutting it down all I had to do is pull them out. We live in a rural county full of buried stones, so you’re probably not likely to hit as many as I did.
In short, this tiller is a great buy for homeowners like me who don’t need a large machine to get the job done. The Earthwise 16-Inch 13.5 Amp Corded Electric Tiller/Cultivator from The Home Depot is a great machine with a great price.
Don’t forget to pick up a pair of Firm Grip leather impact gloves!