Disclosure: The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a small percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Changing an engine air filter at regular intervals is an essential part of any vehicle’s maintenance. The engine air filter helps to prevent foreign material from entering the engine and causing damage.
Over time, the air filter will fill up with junk and, if left long enough, will clog up. You never want to let it get to that point, as a clogged air filter can cause all sorts of engine issues. Your vehicle manual will tell you how often an air filter should be changed.
In this article, I’ll show you how to change a minivan’s engine air filter, though the steps taken here are similar for most vehicles. This particular vehicle is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.
- How To Change A Minivan Cabin Air Filter
- Removing A Broken Oil Dipstick From Engine
- DIY Tow Hitch Install: 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan
Tools, Supplies, and Steps
I’ve linked to several different retailers below for your convenience. I encourage you to shop around as I’ve found that each item may sell for less at a different retailer.
Time needed: 10 minutes.
How To Change A Minivan Engine Air Filter
- Open up and secure the hood with the support rod.
- Locate the air filter housing.
- Unfasten the air filter housing lid clips to access the air filter.
- Remove the old air filter. Pay attention to how the air filter sits correctly in the housing.
- Vacuum out any dirt and debris inside the air filter housing.
- Insert the new air filter.
- Close the housing lid and refasten the housing lid clips.
- Close the hood by placing the support rod back in place and release the hood about a foot away from the latch. Verify the hood is completely closed.
Changing The Minivan Engine Air Filter
As you can see from the Steps above, changing an engine air filter is a fairly easy process. Just keep to the recommended maintenance schedule and research to make sure you choose the right filter.
The retailers I linked to above allow you to search for air filters based upon which vehicle you own. If you choose to go in-store, an auto parts place will help you find the right filter. Retailers like Walmart usually have a book or a small computer located by the air filters in the automotive section that will tell you which filter to use.
I always change my cabin air filter while changing the engine air filter. The cabin air filter can be easy to forget but important to keep changed as well. Changing out air filters are definitely projects a DIYer can handle. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below!