Disclosure: This article is sponsored by Rust-Oleum and RYOBI. The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a small percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
- Tools, Supplies, PPE, and Steps
- Concrete Prep
- Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID And EpoxyShield Application
- Rust-Oleum RockSolid Rocks!
Simply put, Rust-Oleum’s RockSolid Polycuramine and EpoxyShield coatings are awesome products to use on an exposed interior concrete floor. It looks great and provides a long-lasting, durable finish that’s easy to maintain.
Read on to see how I installed these products in my shop.
- Upgrade Your Concrete Floors With Rust-Oleum
- Cargo Trailer Roof Refinish With Rust-Oleum, Gator
- Repurposed Window Sash Note Board Key Rack Combo
Tools, Supplies, PPE, and Steps
I’ve linked to several different retailers below for your convenience. I encourage you to shop around as I’ve found that each item may sell for less at a different retailer.
RYOBI 2300 PSI Electric Pressure Washer
RYOBI Bench Grinder
HANDy Paint Tray
HANDy Paint Tray Liner
HANDy Paint Cup
HANDy Paint Cup Liner
Paint Roller Frame
Paint Roller Extension Pole
Chisel Putty Knife
Rubbermaid Deck Brush
Personal Protective Equipment
Firm Grip Nitrile Gloves
Related Article: PPE: DIYers Should Use Personal Protective Equipment
Time needed: 3 days.
How To Use Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID And EpoxyShield
- Thoroughly read all manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean floors, repair cracks, and remove any foreign debris.
- Apply a concrete etch on the floor.
- Mix the ROCKSOLID pouch materials. Once activated, they must be used within 1 hour.
- Pour the mixed material (3-4″ wide) onto the floor about 1′ away from the back wall in 4′ to 5′ foot ribbons.
- Cut the material around the perimeter with a paint brush.
- Apply the material in an even coat across the floor using an “M” and “W” pattern.
- Sprinkle the decorative chip across the painted surface. Leave several inches of the painted edge blank so you don’t roll over paint chips in the next section.
- Repeat steps 4, 6 and 7 until finished. (Of course, instead of starting again at the back wall, you’ll start at the edge of the just-painted area.)
- Allow the material to fully cure before applying Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield.
- Mix the EpoxyShield pouch materials. Once activated, they must be used within 90 minutes.
- Apply EpoxyShield in a similar manner as ROCKSOLID as shown in steps 4, 5, 6, and 8. (No decorative chips to apply in this step.)
- Allow EpoxyShield to fully cure before resuming traffic.
Before you begin, be sure to fully read the RockSolid Garage Floor Coating Installation Instruction Sheet and the EPOXYSHIELD Clear Finish Floor Coating Kit Instruction Sheet.
RYOBI Electric Pressure Washer
I then brought out the RYOBI 2,300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer and gave the concrete the best cleaning its ever received. I got up grime that I didn’t realize was there!
Here’s a few more details about this awesome machine:
- Performance tested and rated in accordance with PWMA standard PW101.
- 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM for powerful, efficient cleaning of residential areas.
- Powerful 13 Amp high performance brushless induction motor.
- Turbo nozzle delivers 50% faster cleaning.
- 25 ft. non-marring high pressure hose will not leave scuffs on the job.
- Professional metal spray wand with quick-connect coupler for easy nozzle changes.
- On board accessory storage for user convenience.
- 3-year limited warranty for guaranteed performance.
The last step in my concrete prep was applying a concrete etch, which is included in the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID Garage Floor Coating Kit.
- Pro Tip: Keep your pressure washer pump protected when not in use with Power Care Pump Protector.
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID And EpoxyShield Application
Rust-Oleum created a great how-to video on applying the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID Garage Floor Coating Kit (shown above), and I definitely recommend watching it. I followed the steps as shown in the video and was able to achieve the same success.
The Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield kit features a similar application method. This kit also includes an optional anti-slip additive, which gives the floor a sort-of sandpaper feel.
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Rocks!
This project took me several days to complete, but it has completely transformed the look of my shop. I absolutely recommend these two Rust-Oleum products if you want a great-looking, durable finish that will last a lifetime.
Do you plan to paint your concrete surface with these Rust-Oleum products? I’d love to hear about your plans in the comments below!