Disclosure: The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a small percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The miter saw is the king of my shop. Aside from my workbench, my miter saw acts as a nerve center of sorts because I do so much while standing in front of it. In addition to cutting, I usually calculate measurements, pull nails out of boards, take care of any light hammering, and other miscellaneous chores while at the miter saw.
I owned a 10″ miter saw for many years. I was accustomed to the limitations of a 10″ saw, such as having to flip a large board over to finish a cut. Now that I own a 12″ sliding miter saw, I’ll never go back!
A recent upgrade in my shop is the RYOBI 12″ TSS121 sliding compound miter saw. I also purchased the RYOBI miter saw stand to go with it to eliminate the hassle of needing something to sit my saw on. Keep reading if you’d like to know about my personal experience with this saw and stand.
- Related Article: Ryobi Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill
RYOBI 12″ TSS121 Miter Saw Specs
- Heavy duty 15 Amp motor to easily cut through larger material
- Sliding head provides maximum capacity for up to 13-1/4 in. cross cut
- LED Cutline Indicator and work-light projects cutline and illuminates material to improve accuracy of the cut and visibility
- Extended miter range from 47° left and right to accommodate a wide variety of cuts
- Miter stops located at the most common crown molding angles 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, and 45° left and right for quick cut settings
- Miter Detent Override: Quick action lever bypasses miter detent index points with one simple motion
- Machined cast-in miter scale for accurate table alignment
- Spindle lock for easy single wrench blade changes
- 1-1/4 in. dust port provides connection to standard dust collection systems to help keep work area clean
- Sliding miter fence provides support for wider material and easily adjusts for bevel cuts
- Horizontal “D” handle for improved comfort
- Electric brake stops the blade in seconds
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Includes: (1) TSS121 12 in. Sliding Miter Saw with LED, 40-tooth Carbide-Tipped blade, table extensions, blade wrench, dust bag, work clamp, and operator’s manual
RYOBI 12″ TSS121 Miter Saw: My Experience
I love the look and feel of this saw, and it has powered through anything I’ve needed to cut thus far.
This saw does come with a 12″ blade but you’ll probably want to purchase one with finer teeth if you’re going to use it for trim wood. The blade that’s included cuts well initially but will eventually splinter the wood. There’s also a laser to assist with accurate cuts, but I haven’t used it much.
The work clamp is also nice to have to keep the boards snug for accurate cuts. The stand is pretty simple. It comes with quick-release mounting brackets so you can adjust or remove the saw if needed. As you’d expect, the sides have arms that you can extend for longer boards.
As far as the negative; the cuts are not 100% accurate. I’ve done what I can to align it properly, but for me, the angle of the cut is off about 1/16″.
Also, the bolt that attaches the blade guard to the saw constantly unloosens. Every once and a while I would remember to tighten it. However, during one cut, the bolt completely backed out and the blade guard fell into the running blade. Bits of plastic shot out everywhere but I somehow got away with just a few scratches on my hand. (Always wear safety glasses during cuts!)