Disclosure: The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a small percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Installing a tow hitch is a great way to increase the towing capacity of your vehicle. Of course, when searching for a new tow hitch, there are some things to keep in mind:
- Thoroughly research your vehicle specs to ensure that the tow hitch you select is compatible and meets weight requirements.
- Closely follow all manufacturer installation instructions.
- A helper or two will make this DIY project much easier to handle.
- Don’t forget to buy a wiring kit!
In this article, I’ll show you what tow hitch I purchased for my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, along with the necessary wiring kit and other accessories. I was amazed at how easy this tow hitch and wiring install is.
There are several brands you can choose from when shopping for the parts you need for this project, such as Reese Towpower, Curt, and U-Haul. I chose Reese Towpower because I’ve owned several of their products. I’m very satisfied with the quality of these parts; you’ll find links to their Amazon listings below.
- Related Article: How To Remove Dents With A Heat Gun
Tools, Supplies, and PPE
Installing the Tow Hitch
These are the main steps for installing the tow hitch:
- Lower the exhaust by removing it from a couple of hanger brackets.
- Remove the five main attachment bolts that are already in place on the van.
- Raise the tow hitch in place and reinstall the main attachment bolts. This step is much easier with a helper.
- Reattach the exhaust to the hanger brackets.
I found the YouTube video above from U-Haul to be very helpful. Watching that video and thoroughly reading the installation instructions should explain the tow hitch installation process to satisfaction.
If you have any questions though, please feel free to ask in the comments below. I’ll try to help based upon my own experience.
Wiring Kit Installation
Another great video to watch is the one above for the wiring kit install. It’s a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan in the video but the installation steps are identical for a 2016 model.
Here’s the installation instructions that are included in the wiring kit. Again, watching the video above and referring to the included instructions should be all you need to help guide you.
Installing the wiring kit can basically be broken down into three main steps:
- Mount the wiring module and connect to the left taillight.
- Run wiring underneath over to the right taillight and connect to it.
- Run wiring underneath from the left taillight to the battery terminal and connect to it.
I found the install to be very straightforward. Just follow the directions and you should be good. As you run the wiring underneath the vehicle, be sure to secure it well with the included zip ties.
Keep the wiring away from hot pipes, heat shields, the fuel tank, or any other points that may pinch or break the wire.
Tell Me About Your Install
Do you plan to install your own tow hitch and wiring kit? Do you have questions about the process? Please let me know in the comments below.